Thursday, October 11, 2007

Crushed

Crushed
(c) Melina Magdalena 2007

To K.L. with best wishes on her 38th birthday next month.

I didn’t want to be with her. I wanted to be her. She fascinated me; from the moment I laid eyes on her. At almost twelve years of age, I had no one to talk to about this. Newly arrived in the small Queensland sugar town, I had no friends, no cousins, no aunts, and no older siblings. I remember the day so clearly.

It was the last weekend before school started for the year. The Girl Guides in that part of the world were active throughout the year, so I went to my first meeting in this new place. The Guide Hall was a long weatherboard building. I think it was painted blue. I walked up the three steps and in through the door to be greeted with the sight of many busy girls, all in uniform, sectioned off into their patrols along each side of the room. Our Guide Leader walked me across the wooden floor to meet my new Patrol Leader. I met her second first, a merry, round-cheeked, frizzy haired girl who became my best friend for the two years we lived there. She tapped S on the shoulder to get her attention.

Thinking back, I can’t figure out how S was already Patrol Leader, because from what I know of the story, she was also new in town. Maybe she had moved up with her family the previous year, and had had some time to establish herself. She looked at me through her glittering brown eyes, down the curve of her arrogant nose, smiled cursorily and set me to work. In that moment, I became hers for the taking.

What must she have seen, when she glanced at me, that tall, willowy girl, a study of brown on brown, with her long, tanned arms and long, tanned legs? What was I? A short, stocky little girl in a Girl Guide uniform, her light brown hair in two preposterous pigtails that stuck out at odd angles over each ear, the aftershock of a haircut several months earlier. I was too shy and nervous to smile. I didn’t make small talk. What eleven year old does?

The rest of my family spent the afternoon house hunting. When my mother came to pick me up, I bubbled and burbled my way to the car, excited about the new best friend I’d made. Her name was S. She was so great. I was going to be so happy there. I got some kind of “That’s nice, dear” response. That’s OK. I understood; there were other things on my mother’s mind.

What does one do, in the grip of sudden infatuation? Within a matter of weeks, I transited from being a happy little girl, to a confused and awkward adolescent. A month or two earlier I had kicked a boy in the balls when he looked up my dress as I played on the monkey bars. I was severely spoken to for that incident, but I didn’t appreciate his interference in my games. It seems while I was preternaturally disposed to intercept and deflect the male gaze, I was sorely unequipped with words to explain my new superpowers.

I had grown breasts and hips over the past eighteen months, and I didn’t like them. I used to wear a tight zipped cardigan to squash my chest, but just before we moved, my mother took me downtown and got me fitted for some proper bras. We referred to them as my unmentionables. I was sure that if I tried hard enough to pretend I was still a little girl, I could make them – and my messy, painful, frightening periods go away.

And now this – what did it mean? I just wanted to be her friend, that’s all.

Maybe I looked at her with too much intensity? Maybe I tried too hard? Maybe I infringed on the boundaries of the friendships she’d already established within the group. She was after all, the undisputed queen bee of the hive. That is not why I was so attracted to her. I liked her elegant brownness, her suave, smooth way of moving through the world. I admired her adeptness at dealing with authority figures, and the ease with which she interacted with her peers. I wanted to be just like her.

Maybe she just didn’t like me. That’s always possible. If she were so remarkable that I would want to be like her, if follows doesn’t it, that there is no way she would aspire to be anything like me!

School started. I drifted through the classes, separated thanks to our untimely arrival in the town, from any of my guiding buddies. High school was hard for that fact alone. At least I had someone I could hang out with during lunch and recess.

The next clear incident that I recall was in November, at my best friend’s birthday party. She lived next to the swamp, which was one of the mangrove areas around the town. The party was not at the swamp, but we giggling girls went for a secret walk to the swamp so that S could meet her boyfriend.

I didn’t really mind that she had a boyfriend, although I didn’t want one. I thought it was stupid really – I stubbornly resisted all those teenage flirtations, knowing instinctively they were somehow not for me. I seem to remember his name as Kermit, though I’m sure it wasn’t. It must have been some Germanic name like Klaus or Kurt or something. S had ostentatiously used a black marker to write his and hers initials on her arm. I know his first name started with ‘k’, because in an insane moment of identification with S, I secretly took up that same black marker and copied the four letters onto my own arm, along with the heart that linked them.

How S mocked me for that unforgivable act. It was her best buddy who revealed my indiscretion to all and sundry. I was shamed, without even being able to adequately explain my actions. It didn’t make sense to anyone, let alone me. I was sullied in their eyes, no longer a known entity, but something dangerous and strange.

I’ve blocked out most of the memories of what happened after that. I managed to avoid Susan during most of that summer, but the next year, school became a nightmare. She contracted glandular fever towards the end of the school year, which was a blessing for me. I remember hearing that she was so weak that her mother had to bath her.

I was not a sophisticated type. Even before the birthday party, I didn’t pursue S, or seek her out, as is common when people are in the grip of infatuation. In this small town, we all knew where each other lived, but I had never been to S’s house. The infatuation had long disappeared, submerged beneath the combined weight of my bewilderment and misery. Now I imagined going to her house, pushing her head under the water and holding it there until the bubbles stopped.

It’s literally at this moment, twenty-five years later that I begin to realize S may have been smarter, or savvier, than I ever gave her credit for. Certainly, she found her target every time with me, and I was so innocent, I had no knowledge or prior warning of what she would aim for next. S seems to have known quite well, what she thought of me – dirty, hairy and perverted.

I once wandered into the change rooms before PE, to discover to my shock, that S and her crowd was already in there. I took another bite of my apple, and nearly choked, as her harpy’s voice berated me for being so dirty that I would eat my lunch in the toilets.

When she started taunting me with the gorilla tag I begged my mother to let me start shaving my legs. I hated the whole process. I didn’t want anything to do with my misbegotten body. One Saturday afternoon I sat in the bath and doggedly dragged the razor with such ragged pressure up my shin that the bathwater turned shockingly red with my blood and I had to shower whilst attempting to staunch the bleeding so that no one would find out. I bore those scars for about fifteen years before they faded – and that was long after I had stopped shaving my legs for good.

A new girl started at the school, and was immediately taken under the shelter of S’s malevolent wings. She still wore her uniform from her previous school. Her dress was far too short, and she would sit on the benches at lunchtimes, rubbing and rubbing the section of her legs between the hem of her dress and her knees. When S gleefully claimed that I had been looking at this girl’s legs, I wasn’t sure why I felt so shamed, but I felt it anyway.

S was merciless in avenging her honour. I had crossed a boundary into a new country where I was to be persecuted for the rest of time. During my childhood, I always had close friendships, and being a naturally studious and motivated learner, I had been popular with nearly all of my teachers. I hadn’t experienced such severe ostracism. I wasn’t brought up to be a pariah. The shock was too much to bear.

I took myself off and tried to find some other friends. Even the gentle, longhaired girls who belonged to some variety of Brethren background could not suffer my presence in their midst. S made sure my reputation caught up with me. So I tried to stay alone at school. This was difficult. I found it was necessary not only to be alone, but also to become invisible. I acquired this skill by virtue of necessity.

I began to have nightmares. There was something dangerous and corrupt in me. My nightmares were all about my need to protect those around me, from my influence. My sister was in particular danger, and I pushed her as far away from me as I dared.

My hitherto best friend was a dear and loyal soul. She weathered my bizarre behaviour and maintained her earnest desire to be my friend, though I did my best not to corrupt her with my presence. From her point of view, I was still welcome to join her and her friends at school, at band, and at Guides, but I could not feel welcome or safe in any place where S was.

So after two years, when we left that town, I tried to leave all of that behind me. My spirit was crushed beneath the weight of my despair. There was something very wrong with me, and there was not a damned thing I could do about it. I could not even name what it was, though the corruption was like a vivid, ugly stain across my face that everyone else could see. I could only stare out of my sullen green eyes in utter incomprehension, and strive to be invisible.

No comments: