Tuesday, December 29, 2020

QP#4 Quarantine Post, Day 4


I get a great deal of thinking time this morning, lying awake from 3:14am. I wonder whether I’ll turn into one of those writers who is able to get up and practice their craft for an hour or two every morning before the rest of the household awakens? Then I remember our creaky wooden floors, and our children’s predilection for leaping out of bed at the slightest morning noise…. I spend my three hours playing merge dragons and words with friends, ruminating and playing music inside my head.

It’s my turn to answer the phone to the copper today. He only wants to know that we’re all OK. He doesn’t ask for names and relationships information. Brown Owl and I speculate that the phone calls have some strategic purpose in offering multiple opportunities for quarantine guests to connect with others, in order to maximise positive outcomes for interventions as need for them arises.

I am reminded of Anne McCaffrey’s 1982 book Crystal Singer, where a young woman named Killashandra travels to a restricted planet where she undergoes a physical transition which enhances many of her abilities and enables her to sing crystal. This transition is facilitated by a spore, so I guess it is parasitic. Infection and incubation are common themes in science fiction fantasies, often resulting in positive changes. The only ideas I’ve seen so far, that posit a positive reason for this pandemic are indirect and external, such as reduction of pollution or species extinction.

Jack has an excess of energy built up inside him. After breakfast, he commences emitting repetitive grating, booming noises that hurt my head. This is nothing new. Brown Owl takes Wizard into the other room to throw the jellyfish balls around. They do this for about an hour. I challenge Jack to do some shuttle runs, offering the timer on my phone as incentive. (He’s Gemini and digital native enough for this to make the prospect of running back and forth from door to desk exciting.) I do a minute’s worth of shuttle runs as well, and then we’re into sit ups. By the time it’s time to do PE with Joe, Jack and I are fairly pooped, but we plug away doggedly, and it feels good to have made the effort. Brown Owl and I do yoga as well, and I’m starting to feel my body again.

There’s a new game from Brown Owl’s folks, called “songbirds”. We decide to give it a go while the children are busy bey blading. I discover that Brown Owl has a head for strategy – she works out the rules and how to win. I’m entranced by the cards themselves, each of which is different and exquisite. The game involves placing cards in a grid, with the score building up in columns and rows. When placing the cards, I get caught up in making patterns, while Brown Owl works on making sure the cards add up to higher numbers. What fun!

Each of us seeks space today, by removing ourselves from the room where the rest of us are congregating: 

- Brown Owl lies down on a bed in the other room, trying to work the kinks out of her phone plan;

- I retreat to the desk, to do some colouring alone, and this writing; 

- Wiz takes himself away to recover from minor emotional upsets by rolling himself up inside the cocoon of his bedding. We know that he comes back in time and prefers to be left alone. 

- Jack is currently obsessing about footie. He spends time wandering around enacting Aussie Rules moves with a small, foam football my mother brought him. When he and I spend forty minutes practicing hand passes, he asks me to direct the ball to the edge of the bed he is standing on, so that he has a chance to throw himself around with great gusto and drama.

It’s not that we are unravelling, but our edges are just beginning to fray. The novelty is wearing off. We have ten more days and nights to go. I watch the swallows swooping outside our windows today. The pigeons generally fly much lower.

Today is fresh linen day. Stripping the beds and packing the towels and sheets into black garbage bags is a fun family activity. The hotel staff have sent us flyers describing how to make a bed. We are challenged to make the best beds, and there is a prize in the offing. Wizard embraces this with precious dedication. I make the beds, and Brown Owl helps him tuck in his beanie bears, artificial flowers and Jack’s dinosaur Roary (who famously travelled to Canada in his hand luggage). Wizard is also a Gemini and loves nothing better than to set up the perfect photo shot. He takes them, Brown Owl posts them to the hotel quarantine group and sure enough, we win a prize. More colouring books, more coloured pencils, two more sharpeners to add to our collection.

I have tried to give away some of our treasure hoard, but I am advised that 

    Unfortunately, we are at the directives of the SA Government and we are unable to give or pass on         items from rooms to other guests or rooms. It is so sad, and also confusing as when you check out,         you would be covid-negative. It is just a blanket rule to keep everyone safe.” 

I’m feeling slight panic    at the burgeoning piles of stuff we are accumulating. Brown Owl says we’ll need a truck to get it all home! That word “safe” is so loaded.

When Brown Owl fields the call from a GP in the late afternoon, I listen in and wonder whether it’s a journalist. This GP is happy to chat, and the effect on Brown Owl is obvious – she’s more buoyant, more connected with the world outside these walls.

I’d been hoping for lamb massaman curry for dinner, as advised by the menu, but I’m not disappointed by the rice-stuffed tomatoes, which are delicious. I notice that the sticky label on our paper bags has become much more descriptive of our dietary requirements. It now reads:

ROOM: 1416 + 1418 (c / o 09th Jan)

Ad: 2    Ch: 2    Inf:

Preferences: 1 x Ad GF (prefers veg most days) & 1 x Ad Vegetarian. Less “fancy” meals for kids i.e. pasta (no chicken nuggets). Conti breakfast for kids (toast/cereals/yoghurt) & 1x veg Adult.

Wizard and Jack are transported into delights when they lift off the silver lid of their hot containers to discover a bed of naked spaghetti… There’s a container of passata to pour over, and even Wiz manages to make his way around the bits of onion that float around, to almost inhale his meal. Eating for Wizard has always been a whole-body experience. Fortunately, although a dining table and chairs is about the only thing we don’t have in these rooms, the footstool that serves as the children’s table is upholstered in some special kind of fabric that scrubs clean after every meal. We got some extra towels in our linen issue and decide it might be best to use one to cover the footstool in future, all the same.

This evening we start a new Arcadia series, having finished the Troll Hunters. It’s called 3 Below and connects with the same set of characters. Followed by the obligatory Bey Blade episode, I read about Star Wars with Jack, and then we all go to sleep.     


No comments: